- “40” is a thing people do, right?
- The new season of Justified isn’t that bad
- Birdman was pretty good. Edward Norton has no business being that good of an actor.
- Father John Misty might be my hero. If someone tells you the sharing economy is the future of work, you may be doing the sharing, but he’s making the money.
- Justified is back on the TV for the sixth and final season. For some reason I had assumed that Elmore Leonard served a more or less symbolic role as a producer. But when he died the show – and the world – were certainly less for it. I read that the final one is greatly improved and focused, but I can’t bring myself to do it.
- The older I get (and I’m pretty damn close to the day when I start getting solicitations from AARP) the less I care what other people think, say, or do. Especially when they think, say, or do something about me. Jonathan Chait is concerned about “real liberals” (who sound surprisingly like third-way moderates) getting boxed in by a new class of PC brownshirts on the far left. I’m not. I am more concerned about the way people, via social and traditional media, can drive a simple, human mistake made by a small, simple human being into a galactic catastrophe… for one week or less. When that week is over, we move on to the next outrage, but the people who were subject to that thermonuclear scrutiny have to host that tumor for the rest of their lives or professional careers.
- “”One more bit of historical perspective: between the time of the Great Depression and the beginning of the Reagan era—from 1928 to 1979—”the share of income held by the top 1 percent declined in every state but one.” From the Reagan era to the latest recession—from 1979 to 2007—the complete opposite has been true. There has been “a rise in every state in the top 1 percent’s share of income.””” Seriously, when are people going to figure this out and sharpen the blades on the national razor?
- Pokey LaFarge – Day After Day
- Wayne Hancock – Working at Working
- Billy Bragg & Wilco – All You Fascists
- The White Stripes – The Big Three Killed My Baby
- Jim Croce – Workin’ At The Car Wash Blues
- Dirtbombs – Livin’ For The City
- Uncle Tupelo – Shaky Ground
- Whiskeytown – Factory Girl
- John Lennon – Working Class Hero
- A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines
- Nothing infuriates me more than that look the middle aged, stoned dog trainer gives you when your beloved pup tries to take his finger along with an offered treat
- I am old. VMAs? No idea who those people were. Are there still videos on MTV? Like this? And this? And this? One more. The answer is no.
- Internet commenter, ask yourself before you click send: Do you have a dog in this fight? Does the story you just read personally affect you? No? Then hold on to your strawmen.
- A woman in a short skirt on a Friday night only equals a Lambo with the keys in the ignition in that neither “owes” you a ride. Also, either are your property and never will be.
- A white cop shot and killed an unarmed black 18 year old. The body lay expose to the sun for at least 4 hours and that the cop left town within a couple of days. Anything that happened before or after this is immaterial.
- You are wasting the world’s time.
- Burn the phrase ‘just sayin” from the vernacular. Everything you say before ‘just sayin” is your opinion, not a fact. Also, it’s probably dickish. Own that.
- If you had planned to do something productive every day/week/month/year and you forget once, just start again the next day/week/month/year. Shit happens. If you give up, you don’t hurt anyone but yourself.
- I want this to stop. I have absolutely no idea what’s going on. WHY IS THAT GUY DANCING WITH SHAQ?
- Ferguson, Mo. What the fuck is wrong with us?
- On a brighter note, the constant barrage of bad news is killing us.
- It’ll surprise everyone I know to learn that my favorit Robin William’s film is probably The Birdcage. Gene Hackman in drag.
- Surfaces in pediatrician offices, without constant vigilance, will certainly quickly become covered in a think layer of mucous.
- ‘Success’ or no, I will be happy if my child is first kind to others.
- Watch John Oliver
- If I don’t commit to do something, like, right now, I’ll never do it.
- Gigantic fridges are making us fat. Solution? 2 small fridges
- 800+ Criterion Collection Films on Hulu Plus. I’ve only found out about this now.
- I love Lena Dunham. The characters in “Girls” remind me of so many women I know now, but when we were younger. Honestly, though, can we stop talking about these people?
- Been working on becoming a good “feminist father.” I can’t wait. One question: how do I over come absurdity like this? Answer: Cats.
- Thinking about starting a secret society. First step: find a handshake.
- Finally, an ex shows us GOOP is good for something after all.
Fluffy: The big day! This is my year, I can feel it!
Fluffy: Any minute some young Romeo, shopping for foot cream, will see me out of the corner of his eye…
Tuffy: Just stop.
Fluffy: …and know I’m the one to bring joy to his lady love!
Tuffy: Push me off. I see an open bottle of Nyquil down there.